WineAs we prepare for our big Open House and wine tasting Gala on April 6, 2008 I am reminded to warn you that grapes have been shown to be toxic to dogs. While this is a relatively recent discovery, we do know that some dogs will develop kidney failure in response to ingestion of any form of grapes. Dogs should not eat table grapes, raisins, grape skins or even a glass of wine! I have known many dogs who ate table grapes regularly without trouble, so apparently not all dogs are susceptible – but to be safe, if your dog consumes grapes (or indulges in a little vino,) you should seek veterinary attention as soon as possible.

For you non-canine readers, we hope you will join us on Sunday April 6, 2008 between 2 and 6pm for a fundraising Open House/Wine Tasting Gala/Silent Auction. A small cover fee will be donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Association, and will give you full access to wine tasting from Wild Horse, Baileyana, Salisbury, Claiborne and Churchill and Niner Wineries plus savory delights from Nuccis and Old Country Deli. Educational displays will be set up throughout the hospital and you will find an amazing Silent Auction featuring Barrel Tastings, Magnums of local favorite wines, mouth watering delicacies, musical adventures ¦and even some animal related items! You will not want to miss this chance to help us fight cancer one step at a time!

by Bonnie Markoff, DVM, ABVP