Written by Nicole Gunkel, RVT
Halloween is a fun and spooky holiday! With pumpkins, candles, decorations and costumes there is so much going on, and much to go wrong for your furry friends. Here are a few tips to keep in mind this weekend. Please be safe and have fun!
- Keep candy and sugary sweets away from dog’s and cat’s curious appetites. Halloween candies are not meant to be digested by our pets and can cause gastro-intestinal problems. Chocolate, and sugar-free candy containing xylitol, can be especially toxic!
- Be careful when dressing up your pets, so that they don’t chew on costumes. Ingestion of small parts of a costume could require surgical removal of the object! Make sure that pet costumes allow your pet to move around and see clearly. Some pets can get easily scared or stressed by a costume. If this is true for your pet, it’s best to just forgo a costume and stick with a cute themed bandana or collar!
- Decorations around your home are fun, but may represent one more thing for your pet to chew on or consume. Keep decorations in places where they can’t be reached or knocked over.
- Candles are a must for Halloween and popular for fall and winter holidays. Keep them in places where they
We wish you all a safe and fun Halloween and hope it is an excellent beginning to the holiday season!